Valve Guide: Angled, Straight & Corner Valves Explained

Updated: Mar 5, 2020

Following on from our Valve Guide about the differences between Manual and Thermostatic valves, we now take a look at the different valve fittings; Straight, Angled & Corner.

Bottom Opposite End (BOE) connection is the most common in UK standard steel panel radiators and cast iron radiators. This is when the valves are fitted on the radiator at the opposite ends at the bottom of the radiator.

The type of valve fitting required depends on the way your pipes are fitted to connect to the radiator. This should be easy enough to work out visually.


Angled radiator valves are required if the pipes are coming up from the floor and need to turn to enter the side of the radiator.

Examples include: Arroll UK18 TRV The Selsey valve, West Eton Manual valve


Straight radiator valves are mainly used if the pipes run along the wall straight into the radiator valve.

Examples include: West Realm TRV valve, West Commodore Manual valve


Corner radiator valves are used when the pipes are coming out of the wall (Left). Sometimes angled valves would be used for this, but it would require the valve to be turned 90 degrees, resulting in it protruding out from the radiator (Right). Corner radiator valves are the best solution for when pipes come out of the wall.

Examples include: Arroll UK15 TRV The Petworth Valve, West Eton Manual Valve

Now that you know the differences between Manual and Thermostatic valves and the differences between Straight, Angled and Corner radiator valves, all that's left to do is pick your preferred style and finish from our wide range.

View our entire radiator valve range here!

See also: Valve Guide: How to cut Pipe covers.